This Blog

This blog is dedicated to explorations of spirit, life, adventure, and people. I hope that it encompasses much more than the actions of people, but rather creates a more complete picture of what it means to be an athlete and a person in the outdoor community.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My first attempt at a first descent

First descents are nothing but sheer glory. They are always super clean, classic runs that will forever be etched in your memory. This was my first and I will remember it as one of the most amazing days of my kayaking career. Crossing that first horizon line to find nothing but California's finest will be in my memory forever.

The put-in. A modestly willowy and rocky endeavor.


Then it started to get good

Wait no... that was a log portage into a significantly willowy seal launch. Then it got classic.

Wait... that turn went right into a junky boulder garden. The goods were downstream...
hmmmm... this is where we hiked out. That's right! The put-in adumbrated the run, unfortunately not enough for us the eschew the whole episode. It was junky, piled up, pig sized boulders with logs jammed in there for extra fun! I think I may have portaged half the run. Perhaps first descents aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment